Mushroom Stew (Mushrooms in Coconut Sauce)
Mushroom is the only plant food source of natural Vitamin D. Today, somehow lot of people are suffering from Vitamin D deficiency because of the lack of sun exposure and many other factors. Including mushrooms often will help you get more Vitamin D. Besides vitamin D, Mushrooms are a good source of riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid and other micronutrients. Lot of different varieties of mushrooms are found in the farmer’s market and this is one delicious recipe to enjoy their flavors without over cooking them. Cooking them in coconut milk, Coconut called the tree of life just boosts up its overall health benefit as well. Read more about coconut health benefits. Serving this dish with nice and fresh artisan bread, Idly, dosa or rice will help you savour each drop of the stew. It is so easy to make and can become your comfort food too. I’ve also given you the recipe for preparing fresh coconut milk and tips to turning out to a cool, soothing summer drink! 🙂 Try this nutritious recipe and enjoy Good Health! Do not forget to share..
Calories per Serving:75; Carb- 6g; Fat- 5g; Fiber- 1g; Protein – 3g
Preparation time: 5 M Cooking time: 12M Total time: 17 M
Difficulty: Very Easy
2.5 Cups Mushroom (I used Assorted)
1 Large Onion
1.5 tsp Ginger
2-3 Green Chilly
2 Sprig Curry leaves
2 Pinches of turmeric (for color and of course for health benefits)
A dash of pepper
1 tsp Coconut Oil
½ tsp minus 2 pinch of Salt
2 Cups Water
2 tbsp Coconut Cream (See Recipe Notes if you are using Coconut Milk)
- Slice Mushrooms (only the bigger varieties like white, cremini or portobello).
- Slice Onion, finely chop ginger and slit green chillies.
- Heat Oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, 2 tsp of coconut cream, pepper, turmeric powder, salt, cover and cook for 7 minutes. Add the rest of the coconut cream and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Give a good stir and serve with rice (white, brown or millet), idly, dosa, string hoppers or artisan bread. Healthy and Delicious!
- If you are using canned coconut milk, add 1 tbsp in step 4 and 1/4 cup during step 5.
- If you are using fresh coconut milk, use the 3rd thin coconut milk in step 4 and 1/3 cup of thick (first pressed) Coconut Milk in Step 5.
- Do not slit the green chillies if you like it less spicy.
- You can use just one variety of mushroom too.
How to make fresh Coconut Milk?
- Grate Coconut (1/3 of coconut) or remove the coconut from the shell and chop it.
- Add it to the blender, grind for 3 minutes with 1 tbsp water.
- Squeeze out the thick first coconut milk either by using hands or fine filter/ sieve.
- For second Coconut milk, add 1 cup water and blend again for a minute, filter it.
- For third coconut milk, add another cup of water, grind and extract the milk. It will be very watery but the flavor will still be there, good for long time boiling to bring in some flavor like in this recipe.
Tips: You can drink 1 cup of diluted coconut milk with some natural sweeteners, a dash of cardamom powder and some ice cubes. Delicious, soothing, natural summer drink is ready!
Share, Follow and Stay tuned for more Healthier Recipes and Nutrition Facts. Thank you!