Curry Leaves Chutney| Kariveppilai Thogayal
Curry Leaves Chutney/ Karivepillai Thogayal
The scientific name of the curry plant is Murraya Koenigii Spreng and it belongs to the Rutaceae family. The plant is native to India and is usually found in tropical and subtropical regions. Height of the plant ranges from small to medium.
Curry Leaves are rich in Fiber, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and various other Vitamins and Minerals. Besides these, they are also rich in antioxidants, plant sterols, glycosides and flavonoids.
Researches and benefits:
Carbazole alkaloids, a chemical component found in curry leaves has insecticidal and antimicrobial properties and is found to stop diarrhea. Researches have also found that regular consumption of curry leaves resulted in the regulation of blood glucose levels (anti diabetic), fight cancer and lower blood cholesterol levels.
Studies on the extracts of curry leaves have also shown positive results in reducing the effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, while also offering protection against chromosomal damage, protection of bone marrow and prevention of free radicals becoming active in the body.
So, try to use curry leaves, as regularly as possible. If you are new to curry leaves, you can buy them in any Indian or Pakistan stores
Preparation time: 5M Cooking time: 5 M Total time: 10M
Difficulty: Very Easy
1.5 Cups Curry Leaves (Tightly Packed)
¼ cup Grated Coconut (optional)
1 Tbsp Urad Dhall (Black Gram)
4 Red Chilly
A small piece of Tamarind
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan, add Urad dhall, Red Chillies and fry until it starts changing color.
- Add the curry leaves and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add coconut, tamarind and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Grind everything together with little water to form a smooth paste. (You can even grind it coarser with little water if you like).
- Serve with idly, dosa, rice, millet rice, bread, roti etc.
- You can even make this chutney without coconut.
- Add some coriander (Cilantro) to the same recipe to make yummy curry leaves coriander chutney.
Please Comment, Share and Follow.. Stay tuned for more recipes and Nutrition Facts. Thank you!