Kavuni arisi/ Black Rice Sweet (A Chettinad Recipe)
Black rice is very rare and is the best of all rice varieties high in antioxidants, phytochemicals, Zinc, Iron, Folate and other micro nutrients. It is called Kavuni arisi in South India. Including this rice often will benefit your overall health.
Calories per Serving:398; Carb- 80g; Fat- 5g; Fiber-6g; Protein -12g
Preparation time: 8 hr Cooking time: 40 M Total time: 8 hr + 40 min [Traditional method]
Preparation time: 8 hr Cooking time: 15 M Total time: 8 hr + 15 min [Quick method]
1 Cup Black Rice/ Kavuni Arisi
¼ cup Grated Jaggery
¼ cup Grated Fresh Coconut
1 tsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
3-4 Cardamom Pods
A pinch of salt
4 Cups Water
- Wash and soak the rice overnight using 4 cups of water.
- Do not discard water used for soaking. Pressure cook the rice using the same water along with cardamom for 4 whistles and then let simmer it for about 25-30 minutes.
- Once the pressure gets released, mash the cooked rice well.
- Place it on the stove top again over medium heat, add the coconut, jaggery/brown sugar, ghee, salt and keep stirring it continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Hot, healthy and delicious Kavuni/ Black Rice sweet can be served as breakfast or as a dessert.
- Follow the step 1 as above and then pressure cook it only for 3 whistles.
- Then, take everything or just about 3/4th of the quantity and give it a pulse or 2 in a mixie/blender.
- Put everything together on the stove top again and follow the step 4 as above.
- This method will save about 30 minutes, but it tastes equally good.
- Remove the cardamom pods before mashing or blending it. Instead you can add fine cardamom powder during step 5.
- Add little milk/ water to adjust the consistency.
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut or 3 tbsp of coconut milk can also be used instead of fresh coconut.
Try this recipe and let me know how it came out in the comment below. Thank you!