Taro root/ Seppankilangu/ Arbi Roast:
Taro root/ Seppankilangu/ Arbi Roast
Calories per Serving:302; Carb- 51g; Fat- 11g; Fiber- 8g; Protein – 2g
Preparation time: 10M Cooking time: 10M Total time: 20M
6 Nos. Taro root/ Seppankilangu/ Arbi
1 tbsp Chilli powder/ Cayenne pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
2 Sprig Curry Leaves
5-6 Crushed Garlic
1.5 tbsp oil
Water (as needed)
- Put Taro Root in boiling water, cook for 5-7 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Run it through the cold water and peel the skin off.
- Cut them into thin slices, marinate with chilli powder, salt and 1 tsp oil.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add fennel seeds, when it starts spluttering, add curry leaves, garlic and fry until garlic turns crisp.
- Add the marinated slices and cook over high flame until it gets roasted very well. This will take about 10 minutes.
- This simple Taro roast goes well with sambar or yogurt rice or just as a healthy snack by itself.
For more veg side recipes click here
- Adjust the Chilli powder according to your spice level.
- Do not cook the Taro root for more than 7 minutes, otherwise it will turn mushy. It should only be slightly cooked, that the skin should come off easily when peeled.
- Using crushed Garlic along with skin gives this dish a unique taste and flavor.
- Keep stirring it frequently over high flame so that it will get roasted evenly.
- Use a ceramic nonstick or any heavy bottom pan to prevent getting the dish getting stuck to the bottom or burnt easily.
- Do not use oil more than mentioned, then the dish will turn out oily and greasy. You can even reduce it to 1 tbsp.
Try this recipe and let me know how it came out in the comment below. Thank you!