Mango Sesame Barnyard Millet Rice/ Maangai Ellu kuthiraivalli Saadham
Calories per Serving:652; Carb- 102g; Fat- 23g; Fiber-15g; Protein – 14g
Preparation time: 15M Cooking time: 5M Total time: 20M
1 cup Barnyard Millet (Kuthiraivaali)
1 cup Grated raw mango
¾ cup Grated coconut
1.5 tbsp White sesame/ Till seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 whole Red chilies
10 Curry leaves
2 tsp Peanut oil or Sesame oil
2 cups Water
¾ tsp Salt
½ tsp Brown sugar or grated jaggery (optional)
- Pressure cook Barnyard Millet for 3 whistles with 2 cups of water.
- Spread the cooked millet in a plate and cool it down, otherwise it will form lumps.
- Grate mango and coconut and keep it aside
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard splutters, add the red chillis, curry leaves and sesame seeds.
- Once the sesame seeds start crackling, add the grated mango and sugar and give it a stir for a minute.
- Then, add the grated coconut and salt mix well and cook for another minute
- Add the cooked millet and mix them well.
- Tangy and yummy mango sesame millet is ready to serve.
- The sesame seeds will crackle so be a little careful.
- You can use foxtail (thinai), little(saamai) or kodo (Varagu) Millet too.
- Adding the sugar/ Jaggery reduces the sourness and gives a bit unique taste.
- You can reduce the amount of oil and coconut if you have high cholesterol levels.
|Vitamin A||948 IU||19%|
|Vitamin E||2.3 mg||11%|
|Vitamin K||6.3 mg||8%|
|Vitamin B6||0.6 mg||31%%|
Do try this recipe and let me know how it came out in the comment below. Thankyou!