White Sorghum / Vellai Chollam Crispy Dosa
Serves: 16 dosas
Calories per Serving: 123; Carb-22 g; Fat- 3g; Fiber-3 g; Protein – 4g
Preparation time: [Soaking: 5H; To grind: 10M; Fermentation: 8H] Cooking time: 3M
Total time: 13H and 10M
2 cups White Sorghum
0.5 cup Urad dhall (without skin)
1.5 tsp Fenugreek
1 tsp salt
- Soak White Sorghum, Urad dhall and Fenugreek together for about 5 hours.
- Grind them to a smooth batter with salt. If you put your finger dipped in water, the batter should not stick to your fingers. Then, it is the right consistency.
- Allow the batter to ferment for about 8-10 hours. The fermented batter will look like as in picture 6.
- Mix it well. Now, the dosa batter is ready.
To make dosa:
- Heat the dosa griddle or flat round pan over medium heat, pour about 4 tablespoon of the batter in the center, swirl it to make a beautiful round shape with a convex shaped spoon as shown in picture 8 and 9.
- Once it gets cooked half way, keep the heat in high add one teaspoon oil around the dosa and it will start changing the color on the other side.
- Remove from heat using a spatula and serve hot with chutney of your choice.
- Beautiful, tasty and crispy dosas are ready to eat.
- The batter does not actually double its volume, but it just rises a little after fermentation. It might double if the batter is little watery and also it takes a little longer time to ferment than the regular dosa batter made with rice.
- Batter should not be very thick. It should be in a flowy consistency to make crispy dosa.
- If you live in a colder place, place the batter inside the oven with light on which will help provide the optimal temperature for fermentation.
Do try this recipe and let me know how it came out in the comment below. Thankyou!